Mother’s Day presents an opportunity for certain brands to increase profits.
According to the National Retail Federation, Mother’s Day is the third highest-grossing seasonal event in the United States. In 2015, Mother’s Day spending hit an all-time high with U.S. consumers dishing out a total of $21.2 billion. Perhaps the least surprising finding: Out of all Mother’s Day spenders, most wait until the last minute to shop for a gift.
Here are some strategies marketers are putting into practice this Mothers’ Day:
1. Social Media
- Pinterest comes out on top as the best tool for Mother’s Day gift searches. Many users turn to this platform for gift inspiration and DIY ideas (which may benefit brands that don’t normally geared toward the Mother’s Day crowd). Recruiting popular pinners can also help to boost exposure and give your products, services and/or website credibility.
- Instagram is another effective platform to promote your brand. Again, partnering with users with considerable followings will lead to better results, especially if you find a user whose persona and postings relate to your brand’s purpose.
2. PPC Campaigns
- Pay-per-click advertising is especially effective in those final days leading up to the holiday since last-minute shoppers are usually eager to find a gift.
3. User-Generated Content
- People love to be a part of something bigger, especially when it promises some extra exposure. That exposure is a two-way deal, and you’re on the other end of it. Rallying potential and existing customers behind a hashtag is a great way to boost your brand. Inviting social media users to feature your brand in their best Mother’s Day moments is a great place to start.
4. Advertising (Digital and Traditional)
- Don’t forget about traditional advertising! The highest conversions come from advertisements that feature clothing and accessories. Finally, harness the power of a Mother’s Day-specific call-to-action! Some consumers might even thank you for the reminder.
– Article by Eden Ames